One of Mom's favorite's is when she gets a Frog in her Throat. She thinks she sounds really 'cool' like that, refuses to clear her throat, jabbers non-stop because she loves to hear the sound she is making, and wants everyone possible to hear the really cool sound she is making. [It's not cool, Mom, it's annoying!] Even worse..... somehow, in her twisted thought process, she thinks that 'frog-in-the-throat' sounds is classy! Ugh!!!And the worse the 'frog' is, the more she talks about nothing to make sure everyone possible gets to hear it. Allergy season is the worst!
It happened again yesterday during a phone conversation with her. She first called me about something specific (that only took a moment), but then, as usual, she had to jabber about anything she could think of, as quickly as she could think of things, to hold me on the phone (that control thing). At the very beginning of our conversation, from the moment I answered the phone, she had a Frog in her Throat! You would think by now that I would stop expecting her to clear her throat, as the average person would immediately do, but I still do. The minute I heard the Frog croaking, I naturally anticipated her to stop a moment and clear her throat .... but, of course, she didn't. So after several sentences of frustratedly trying to understand what she was saying, I stopped her and said, "Mom, you have a frog in your throat and I can't understand you." Of course, once it was brought to her attention in a tone that let her know I considered it a negative thing, she flatly denied it. She irritatedly argued (frog in throat), "No I don't! There is nothing wrong with my throat. It's fine!" and continued talking even faster and louder than before, the croaking growing by the moment.
There was absolutely no way to understand what she was saying, and she wasn't going to stop talking for awhile because she was enjoying hearing herself so much, so I finally put the phone on speaker, laid it down, picked up my knitting, and just let her jabber away while I worked on my knitting. Finally, many minutes later, when the Frog got so bad that she could no longer get ANY words at all out, she stopped, cleared her throat, and, without missing a beat in her one-sided conversation, said, "Well, I guess I did have a little frog in my throat." then continued on jabbering. 'Mr. Froggy' was wonderful so long as he was making her sound cool, but when he got in the way of her getting her words out, the control source by which she was keeping me on the phone and away from what I needed to be doing (so she thought), Mr. Froggy had to go!
It is unbelievable the things a narcissist thinks is cute and will use to draw attention to themselves.
No comments:
Post a Comment